Home » Tourism » International Hotel Chains in Cuba

International Hotel Chains in Cuba

Meliá Hotels International is in the first place of the list.

Meliá Hotels International is in the first place of the list.

A total of 18 international hotel chains have a total of 75 management and marketing contracts approved in Cuba, covering 85 hotels and 39,611 rooms, according to Ministry of Tourism data at the close of September 2015.

Out of these foreign management chains, 12 are Spanish and represent 67% of those associated on the island; they manage 63 hotels, 74% of the ones operating under this mode. The remaining companies are from: Canada, France, Jamaica, Portugal and Colombia. Out of the 75 contracts, 13 are hotel joint ventures.

Varadero concentrates 44% of the hotels managed by international chains, followed by Jardinesdel Rey (Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo) and the Villa Clara cays, each one with 16%; and Havana with 11%. The other destinations where foreign operators are present are: Northern Holguín, Cayo Largo del Sur, Jibacoa, Trinidad and Santiago de Cuba.

Out of these hotels, 87% under management contracts operate the sun and beach tourism mode, which has usually predominated during these years; the remaining 13% offer the city product combined with cultural, historic and heritage tourism. Out of these 96% are four- and five-star installations.

The Cuban Gaviota, Gran Caribe and Cubanacan groups are the owners of these hotels, and their participation percentage is 45%, 33% and 22%, respectively.

Management Country of origin

 

Number of rooms under management contract
Meliá Hotels International Spain 13,480
Blue Diamond Hotels & Resorts Canada 8,472
Iberostar Hotels & Resorts Spain 4,651
H10 Hoteles Spain 2,040
Blau Hotels & Resorts Spain 1,777
Warwick International Hotels and Resorts France

 

1,243
Accor France 1,081
Valentín Hotels Spain 1,020
BlueBay Hotels & Resorts Spain 976
Barceló Hotels & Resorts Spain 883
Hotusa Hotels Spain 846
Be Live Hotels – Globalia Spain 781
Roc Hotels Spain 767
Pestana Hotels & Resorts Portugal 508
SercotelHoteles Spain 324
Excelencias Inn Style Colombia 272
SuperClubs Jamaica 270
NH Hotels Spain 220

Comments